Thriving in Garrett County, Maryland: Fall
Published: September 29, 2021
by M. Kendall Ludwig, president and principal designer
custom illustration by CurlyRed junior designer Olivia Weeks
Without a doubt, fall is my absolute favorite season here. Most GC locals will argue that September has the nicest weather of the entire year. I'd argue that October is pretty damn spectacular as well. Lots of sun, with crisp breezes through the lovely changing leaves, with evenings made for bonfires and getting cozy with loved ones. Here's are some of my favorite ways to enjoy my favorite season:
- Autumn Glory may look different this year, but it's still a special time to be enjoyed. Thanks to the ongoing pandemic, most in-person Autumn Glory events have been cancelled. But the Grand Feature Parade on Saturday, October 16th is still happening! There are also various craft shows around the county. Make sure to check out SEYMOUR: an online art show, celebrating our Rural Arts Entrepreneurs in Appalachia.
- Cook (and eat) seasonally. The Mountain Fresh Farmers Market in Oakland is at its very best right now. Just a few days ago, I made delicious soup with a butternut squash I bought last week at the market. Take advantage of the amazing produce, meat, eggs, decor and more! If you're looking for a new recipe, this pumpkin fluff dip is TO DIE FOR, and goes perfectly with apples and ginger snaps.
The changing leaves here in Garrett County are not to be missed. Drive/bike/hike around and enjoy the incredible foliage!
- Take advantage of every nice day. Locals know that the weather turns quickly here. By November, the weather gets a lot more blustery and unpredictable. So while the sun is shining, get outside! Try a new hiking trail or explore a new sport (this is my second year playing tennis right here in Mountain Lake Park, and I love it!).
- Knits and boots are your friends. I adore dressing for Autumn here. The color palette, the layers, fun jackets. Fingerless gloves knitted by friends and thrifted boots from ThredUp are my current go-tos.
Our first Halloween in GC (2016). Can you guess who we are?
- Find your inner child. Halloween is a holiday for kids, right? Not in our house. We love to come up with a theme as a family and go all out—it might be one of our favorite days of the year. Treat-or-treating in Mountain Lake Park is epic: the kids get tons of candy, and we get to say hi to neighbors while drinking wine or hot apple cider in our travel coffee mugs. What's not to love? If you haven't dressed up for Halloween in a while, give it a try this year! Just pick a warm costume—it's been known to get down into the uppers 30s on Halloween night.
- Don't take the beauty around for granted. I spent the first fall we lived here (2016) in constant awe of how incredibly vibrant and beautiful everything is in Garrett County in Autumn. Not just the leaves, but the mums, goldenrods, gourds, birds, everything! It's easy to take it for granted when you see it year after year. But I need to periodically stop myself and thank God for the millionth time that we were blessed with this beautiful place. I encourage you to do the same—gratitude is the key to experiencing joy.
What are your tips for thriving in the Fall?
Back to Blog